Re: MaxBeam, MaxQuake, MaxWind

>In fact, the brochures
>state:  "Easy to use structural software for architects, builders, drafters,
>engineers, and building departments."
Welcome to 'black box engineering--cheap. One size fits all.' It very
common for mechanical engineering FEA developers, one of whom claimed it
was 'child's play.' Irrespective of the quality of the software
(something which never makes it into the ads) if the user hasn't a good
grasp of applied mechanics and the applicable codes, if the program
contains code compliance assessment, you are cruising for a serious
bruising if you assume _anything_ any FEA program puts out is gospel.
I've been in the FEA biz for about 25 years and in that time software has
proliferated and quality has generally gone right straight to hell. There
a few exceptions, but the MicroSoft 'bugs be damned, bloat up the feature
set and ship,' philosophy is common. I sometimes wonder if there's a
certain critical size engineering software which is unsupportable--so
many features aimed so many different sub-disciplines that no single
person really understands it all.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw