From: Alex C. Nacionales [mailto:alexcnac(--nospam--at)easycom.net]
Sent: Friday, May 14, 1999 3:37 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: building on elevated ground

Hello.

I  designed a  three storey RC school building
on site which is an elevated natural ground 5'  above the road. The
retainwall is about
20' from the building line. My design uses a 9' wide continuous footing
located 5'6" below
natural ground. The old  two story building has concrete columns which is
also the location
of my new columns. The old footings is  4'-6" x 4-6" wide and 16" thick. The
contractor
proposed  to place the new footing 3'  below natural ground which will be on
top of the old spread
footings and offered to deduct  demolition and excavation costs from his
contract.

I will have to check the Beaing capacity at 3' level. My problem is how to
check for
the effect of seismic load on the retaining wall due to new building because
the footing will be
2' above the road elevation. The overburden load will be neglibible.

I would appreciate any help or suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Alex Nacionales, C.E.