Re: CE News needs your opinion

In a message dated 5/15/99 12:03:32 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
scaldwell(--nospam--at)halff.com writes:

<< 3)  Do you have an estimate of how many have internet access?

 My guess, with no supporting data, is 40-50% >>

Stan,
I think you are way to liberal with this figure. I would estimate that less
than 10% of our profession is computer literate in Internet access. Although
this figure is increasing yearly, my experience with the members in
California suggest a much lower percentage of online competency. I would
agree that 50% or slightly higher would be an adequate percentage of
engineers who use computer programs in their practice.

I have also found that many of the young engineers skilled in computers from
college have neither the time or inclination to utilize their computer skills
in practice other than basic office skills. Older engineers who face
retirement in the next few years are also reluctant to learn a new technology.

These are general statments and a professional survey would provide better
answers. The last survey we did was just before 1993 in Southern California.
Our conclusion at the time was that approximately 1% of the membership was
"computer" literate.

I would invite anyone with actual statistics to respond - I'd like to have
something more current as well.

Dennis Wish PE