Re: Strange stuff that I don't understand.

Roger,

I totally agree with you. The problem is the Architect is a client of mine.
Do I do a good deed for the public and at the same time shoot myself in the
foot.

I have simply made some observations and am convinced that some engineer was
out to lunch when he designed the building structure. I do not know who the
engineer is.

The reason that I do not want to do the exercise of checking out the design
is that ignorance is bliss! While I have doubts as to the adequacy of the
design I don't know it to be a fact. If I knew it as a fact I would feel
obligated to tell the Architect and the local Building Official.

I believe that our professional responsibility is to protect the health,
safety and welfare of the public. However, going into the building department
will not necessarily result in any change. It would be unwise for me to make
a claim that does not fit with whatever Code the engineer used. I do not know
of any way that the perimeter walls could be designed per Code. But then I
wouldn't even attempt it. A cantilever wall 22' into the air that is only 8"
thick does not seem to be something I would want to design in the first
place. Also to consider, the particular building department that this
particular building was permitted in does not have a great record of checking
the engineers work. If the calculations and plans are stamped by a licensed
engineer or architect, they issue a permit with very little checking of the
calcs.

John Ott