RE: Strange stuff that I don't understand.

In the first place, you are NOT ignorant, so you can plead ignorance.

In the second, I continue to insist that this ought to be brought
(anonymously, if at all possible) to the attention of the Building Official.

I think Dr. Laura (who may in future dine in this restaurant, come to think
of it) would agree that your obligation to protect the health and safety of
the public under the rules of engineering ethics takes precedence even over
the risk of losing this client for future work.