Re: Strange stuff that I don't understand.

Paul,

I do not know if software was used in the design of the building in question.
I simply know that whatever method was used does not work. I also know that
the building department has a reputation of not checking the calculations.
They simply want to make sure that the plans and calculations are stamped and
signed.

When I run into a situation of a building department that does not really
check the engineering calculations and details over, it makes me nervous. In
my office we internally check the designs over and attempt to make sure that
all designs are reasonable and that the plans and details reflect sufficient
detailing so that a contractor can adequately construct the structure. It
would appear that the engineer that designed the structure for the restaurant
building missed doing a careful design and the building department simply
didn't check it.

The building was permitted and is currently under construction. It has what I
would consider some serious design flaws. I haven't set out to prove that but
then I am not required to check the work of other engineers in the field.
That is the duty of the design engineer. The building official is the issuer
of permits and in some cities that I have dealt with do NOT perform a careful
check of the design engineer's work. What do I do with the heavy thought that
this building may be designed to less than the Code provisions?

There are two items that concern me. They are:
1. The extremely tall (22' high) vertical walls that are only 8" thick and
are only anchored at the base to the foundation. [i.e. They are cantilevered
out of the foundation] Refer to my original post.
2. The apparent excessive roof deflection caused by the Architect moving on
the now constructed roof. The bracing system is a rigid frame composed of 22'
high W8x?? columns with a much larger beam. It doesn't look right in the
field, but worse the Architect claimed he could move the roof structure 1/2"
either side of a fixed reference point with simply his 190 lb weight.

Appreciate your comments.

John Ott