RE: Strange stuff that I don't understand.

> The place to turn is not the building official but the state board of
> licensure.

I disagree. John has only a "suspicion" that an unsafe situation exists; he
has no way of knowing how the unsafe situation came about. What if it is
contractor's error? Has he seen the plans, specs, calcs?

No.

I think the B.O. should be the guy, and John should inform him that any
instance of blatant negligence on the part of the structural engineer must
be reported to the board.