Re: MaxBeam, MaxQuake, MaxWind

In a message dated 5/18/99 6:19:01 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
chrisw(--nospam--at)skypoint.com writes:

<< This put a helluva burden on plan checkers--like giving QA people the
 right to recommend firing someone who makes a mistake. >>

Chris, the building offical or plan checker is the beaurocracy. If another
engineer discovered the incompetence he/she would be ethically responsible to
report the issue to the board of registration. I refer you to Mark
Deardorff's comments on the thread "Strange stuff that I don't understand".
We have an obligation to protect the public and it may be the most difficult
decision we could make. I don't think the building official or plan checker
who should be competent in the field of engineers has any less an obligation
to the public.

There might be other avenues IF the individual were registered and the owner
or client submitted his work for review by a peer. This is not generally the
case since most owners/clients do not understand the level of competency
required and rarely ever suspect that there is anything wrong.

This leave the responsiblity to act up to the only individual who stands in
the path of the incompetent person and the building permit.

Dennis