Re: Computer Program Errors

In a message dated 5/18/99 9:32:33 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
merrickgroup(--nospam--at)compuserve.com writes:

<< The above are only for discussion and must not be
 considered or used as opinion. The list is
 incomplete and is intended only to understand that
 a remedy may be needed for commercial programs. >>

First off, I'd get rid of this disclaimer. I don't think it holds water
unless you intend only to play Devils Advocate to any discussion. Otherwise,
I would consider it your opinion. Don't jump, I mean it kindly.

You have a valid argument. Is this all from one program?????

Companies have mixed opinions about announcing bugs in their programs. One
company believes it can and will be used against them by competition. Others
believe that it does their users a service. I agree with the later - it is in
the best interest of the users to know that an error in a program is treated
honestly by the developer. Most important is the developers response to the
bug.
Even more important is to identify if it is a common bug or one that is very
limited and more difficult to correct (like a hardware conflict that crashes
a program). Is the bug serious - does it prevent accurate use of the program
or the ability to print results or is it more cosmetic.
The errors that you describe are serious but may not all be errors. What if
the results you look for are simply concealed in program rather than visible
for confirmation. This may be a poor choice but not necessarily a bug.

Let's assume for the moment that every one of your list is a bug - an error
and the developer is aware of each one and has not addressed or corrected
them. Short of suing, I would assume that the developer will ultimately not
survive.

I am one who is extremely cautious about lableing a program as buggy. There
are so many variables that can justify a design. It may not be a good design
but it also does not constitute an error in programing. If you can prove that
the results are inaccurate and have not received resolution to the issue, you
might consider legal action.

One thing that I would avoid is using a public forum to try a developer of a
product. The developer should have the same rights to defend his work as we
have.

These are only cautionary statements and not intended to suggest that you do
nothing. Just be very sure of any allegations that you or anyone intends to
make publically.

Dennis Wish PE