Re: RE: Strange stuff that I don't understand.

In a message dated 5/18/99 2:44:25 PM, bcain(--nospam--at)ebmud.com writes:
>I seem to remember a California Attorney General's opinion a few years ago
that >may be on point about knowledge of unsafe conditions and actions an
engineer >should take.

I believe this refers to the requirement to notify the occupants in the event
of "IMMINENT DANGER,' which is a far cry from "I think this building may not
meet Code minimums."  If you cry "fire" in a crowded theater you best be sure
you see the flames first, just as if you shoot a burglar you best be sure he
falls INSIDE your house and that the bullet hole is in his front.

Per my previous post, what about the 90% of building we all see every day
that do not meet code minimums, maybe because they were built a half-century
ago?

Ralph Hueston Kratz, S.E.
Richmond CA