Seismic design of pole building - HELP! -Reply

Perhaps the latest edition of Pole Building Design by Donald Patterson
would address your questions. Contact the American Wood Preservers
Institute which published the document. The 6th Edition was reprinted in
April 1981. An old address for AWP is 1651 Old meadow Raod, McLean,
Virginia 22102.

>>> "Mark T. Swingle" <mswingle(--nospam--at)earthlink.net> 05/18/99 11:39pm >>>
Dear fine people,
I sent this message 2 weeks ago and only received TWO (that's 2)
replies!!  It is full of very interesting code issues, at least
IMHO.  Please read again and comment on anything you can think of.
You can send it privately instead of to the server if you wish.

Thanks!!

Mark Swingle

Mark T. Swingle wrote:

> Your following message has been delivered to the list
>   seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org at 00:54:06 on 5 May 1999.
>
> I am designing a pole building in northern California (Mendocino
> county, near Hwy 101).  The poles are already in place, but the client
> would like me to design the structural system for gravity loads and
> lateral loads.
>
> The poles are tapered wood poles, approx 12"-14" in diameter at the
> base, and are embedded 8 feet in the ground.  The structure is two
> stories above the ground (raised floor diaphragm and roof diaphragm)
> with floor-to-floor heights approx 10 feet.  There are 3 rows of 8
> poles each, with the rows 16 feet oc and the poles 8 feet oc in each
> row.
>
> The client would like to keep the interior spaces as open as possible,
> and therefore would like to avoid shear walls.  The proposal is to use
> knee braces at each pole in each direction.  If the braces are at 45
> degrees, then each leg would be approx 2.5 feet long to keep the
> braces above 7.5 for adequate headroom.  Whether wood or steel
braces
> are to be used is an open question (see below).
>
> I WOULD APPRECIATE SUGGESTIONS, COMMENTS, AND
CORRECTIONS ON THE
> FOLLOWING QUESTIONS AND THE LINE OF REASONING:
>
> 1.  WHAT IS Rw?
>
>     This building does not seem to fit into one of the accepted
>     structural systems listed in 1994 UBC table 16-N.
>
>     Strictly speaking, this is a moment frame system since the poles
>     are required to resist lateral forces through bending, shear,
>     and axial forces.  However, Item 3.4 lists only steel or concrete
>     ordinary moment-resisting frames (not timber).  If steel braces
>     are used, then this would be some sort of mixed system anyway.
>
>     Item 2.4.c. (Ordinary braced frame of timber in a building frame
>     system) seems like a close match, but Rw=8 seems too high for the
>     actual lateral system proposed (see below for discussion).
>
>     Item 1.4.a. or 1.4.c. (Braced frame of where bracing carries
>     gravity load) seems like a close match too, but this is for a <<
>     Bearing wall system>>.  However, using Rw=4 (for timber) or Rw=6
>     (for steel) seems like a good idea (again, see below).
>
> 2.  HOW DO I GET DUCTILE BEHAVIOR?
>
>     This lateral system seems to have little ductility if
>     constructed with wood braces. It may have some with steel braces
>     (see below).
>
>     I do not have any experience with wood braced frames or knee
>     braces resisting lateral loads as the primary LFRS.  If a wood
>     brace were to buckle, it seems that the connections at each end
>     would fail if the connection were comprised of more than one bolt,
>     due to the rotation at the ends.
>
>     Steel knee braces may perhaps be made to work, using connections
>     at each end similar to that used in special concentric braced
>     frames where a gusset plate is allowed yield when the brace
>     buckles (in the plane formed by the brace and pole).  However, I
>     don't think <<exposed>> steel braces are what the client had in
>     mind for a pole house in the country!
>
>     In any case, it seems prudent to use a shear demand on the pole
>     that would correspond to yielding of the brace, using conservative
>     material properties.
>
> 3.  HOW DO I CALCULATE DRIFT, or, HOW DO I MODEL THE
FOUNDATION?