RE: Foundation design for seismic

When you ask if the "foundation" should be designed for the capacity of the
superstructure, I presume that you are just talking about the concrete
elements.

The soil is a different issue in that soil is still designed for allowable
stress with the safety factors varying markedly depending on the consultant.

In regard to applying the ductility requirements on the concrete elements, I
agree that the concrete structural elements (including concrete foundations)
need to be designed using the special seismic provisions.

There are other areas that have somewhat ambiguous wording in the UBC and in
the ACI.  It is best to look at the ACI 318 comparable sections and look at
the commentary.  In this case you would look at the ACI 318 Section R21.2.2.
Basically it says that you need to use the special seismic provisions unless
you use a nonlinear response model.  Given that choice, I use the special
seismic provisions.

It is always good to keep in mind that the structure will go into the
nonlinear range during the design event.  Using that logic, I have been able
to convince engineers looking for loop holes that it is best to design with
the seismic detailing.

Regards,
Harold Sprague
The Neenan Company