Re: Strange stuff that I don't understand.

The posts that have been made are appreciated. I have read all of the recent
posts and decided to answer them (to date) with one response.

The two incidents that I sited are recent. Within the past two months. The
final events are:
1. Regarding the cantilevered wall job that I bid on a told the Architect I
could not justify assembling pre-cast tilt up wall units to cantilever 22'
vertically without some means of intermediate support. I lost that job to
another engineer.
2. Regarding the above job I have contact with the Architect on other jobs
and he asked me my opinion of deflections of the roof system. The Architect
had been on the roof and with his weight (190#) alone had been able to cause
the 35' x 80' roof system to sway a total of 1" (1/2" in either direction).
He asked me an opinion as to if this was normal. I told him it was excessive.
I inquired about the bracing system and he told me that the front frame
consisted of a rigid frame composed of several vertical W8x?? columns and a
much larger steel beam. My opinion did not change as to the apparent lack of
proper lateral support. I told him to take the matter up with his engineer or
obtain an outside consultant. I did not perform any calculations and
therefore my opinion was an educated guess.
3. Regarding the single family dwelling in the sierra's I did notify the
owner and the "new" engineer that my engineering was NOT to be used in any
way for any part of the structure and that the new engineer was to become the
EOR. For that I received a substantially reduced amount on my agreement with
the owner. I also informed the owner that for the few dollar$ that he might
save it was my opinion that it was a very poor way to economize on his home.
The owner is a retired surveyor that used to work for the City of Los
Angeles. Penny wise and pound foolish!

Again, thank all of you for your very thought provoking responses. I believe
the profession of engineering has some of their members who might want to cut
a few corners and there are some building departments that allow that member
of our profession to get away with it. Fortunately, from what I have seen the
engineers, and others who contribute to these posts are interested in doing
things right.

My position is that I have informed the individuals that are in charge of
these two projects.  My opinion on the restaurant is simply an opinion based
on observation and substantiated by any calculations. I am concerned that the
Architect will follow through to obtain independent advise and do the right
thing.

I do have some reservations with respect to the engineer in the foothills of
the Sierra. His comments to me that "in his seven years living in the Seirra
he had never experience an earthquake" and "the wind never blows more than
twenty miles per hour" and therefore he did not have to design for lateral
loads was astounding. Throw the Code away, use your own standards as you see
fit. I asked him if it ever snowed in the Sierra foothills at 5,000 to 6,000
feet altitude. He told me that whatever came down was very little and melted
in a day or two and did not constitute an additional load to be considered.
This is a "builders" engineer for sure. I informed the owner and am not
involved in the engineering of the final product.

John Ott