Vlookup function for EXCEL97

Hello, need some feedback on use of Vlookup.

C12: W12x26
C13: +Vlookup(C12,Wshapes,42,False)

Problem:  I want C13 to flag a message when Vlookup returns "#N/A" because it
could not find the shape such as, "Check Shape Size".  I have tried using a
nested "IF" function but doesn't seem to work.  I have also tried having the
adjacent cell, D13, read: If(C13=#N/A,"Check Shape Size"," ") but what it
returns is the value #N/A.  Any quick suggestions?

Perhaps I should be sending this request to the new listserver, but I cannot
join it yet since our network setup has a problem with the word "Admin" at the
begining of an address.

Regards,
ed gonzalez