Re: Red Tape

I was in Washington DC last week and was able to purchase a piece of the
authentic stuff from the National Archives but it is expensive: a 3 inch piece
(circa 1865) costs $5.00.  Red tape or twine was used to bind Civil War medical
records.  Thus the term, "cutting through the red tape". to get to a disabled
veterans records when applying for a military pension.