Timber Dry Rot

I have to deal with a timber (4X8) beam that has sufferred from dry rot.  I
plan to remove as much as possible of the dry rot and protect the beam from
future moisture. The beam is not heavily loaded and I believe that the
remaining portion of  the beam  is adequate to carry the load, possibly with
the help of reinforcement or partial splicing  with new timber.

 My  question is: if all of the existing dry not is not successfully removed
(accessibility is not ideal) will the dry rot continue to propagate on the
modified, moisture-protected beam?

                            Roy Levy