Re: New Survey - Please participate

In a message dated 5/21/99 8:50:02 PM, BSmithSE(--nospam--at)aol.com writes:

>In a message dated 5/21/99 7:56:46 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
>szchang(--nospam--at)pacbell.net writes:
>
><< about a year and a half ago, one of a college freshman in UC Berkeley
> saw a little girl murdered in a public rest room by his friend and he
> did not say a word to the police.  >>
>
>Exactly.  If a doctor walks by a sick and not treat him, should the doctor
>be prosecuted?  I don't believe so.  What to do when ideals clash with messy
>realities.  I don't want the threat of prosecution to dictate my behavior.
> I believe it should be left up one's own consciences.

In other words if you see someone drowning and don't do anything The Law
should say:  "That's okay--that's your right."  It's obvious that The Law
doesn't require much of us as citizens right now (witness the UC Berkeley
student).  I think it should require more of us.  Remember the woman murdered
in NYC many years ago while dozens of people watched and did nothing?  Some
people need the "push" of a law to tell them that "You should do the right
thing."  Have parents who see their children building bombs in their bedroom
any obligation (moral?, legal?) to do anything?  Apparently not.

Ralph