Re: NCEES Registration

Attention SEAINT members:

Here's a story:
I am a licensed SE in the STATE of Illinois.  I took the Illinois SE exam to
obtain my registration.   HOWEVER, as a structural engineer I felt it was not
necessary to obtain PE registration in ILLINOIS.   Several of my colleagues
only have SE licenses too!

For those of you who are not familar with ILLINOIS registration laws,  I
believe Illinois is unique as it maintains a totally distinct separation of
PE and SE registration.  WE have separate PE and SE registration laws and
separate boards.

I applied to reciprocity (Comity) for  PE registration in New Jersey and had
NO problem in obtaining a PE  license.

In January 1998 I applied for registration as a PE  to practice structural
engineering in Indiana.  Indiana does not  have separate requirements for the
practice of structural engineering.

I completed the necessary paperwork and had the State of Illinois send
verification of my Illinois registration.

My application for PE was denied!!!!.

 You see, Indiana law requires examination  in 8 hours of general engineering
knowledge.  When I took the Illinois SE exam  the test included only  4 hours
of general engineering knowledge.

Unfortunately The State of Illinois did not state in my registration records
that the 4 hour general engineering exam was waived as I had taken the eight
hour "Enginering in Training"    (EIT) exam.  I eventually had a hearing
before the Indiana Board where I protested the decision to refuse my granting
of an Indiana PE  license.

It took almost ONE YEAR  to get all the paper work cleared but I finally
received my Indiana PE registration as I met all of their examination
requirements.

A Word of Warning for few   (most likely those in Illinois with only an SE )
who  may have SE registration but not PE registation.

Isn't this an example to get uniform/standard  licensing, regisration  laws
across the country?

Bob  Johnson,   SE
SEAOI
NCSEA