Re: Seismic Upgrade.... Blue Book Commentary on wood diaphragm

In a message dated 5/23/99 12:30:19 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
billw4(--nospam--at)sesol.com writes:

<< The diaphragms in these types of
 buildings are clearly more continuous than simple, and the diaphragm is
 supported on differing stiffness, is this consistent with half the
 tributary width being supported by the wall, I am not sure. >>

Careful with this one Bill. Large Custom homes - at least those that I
specialize in - rarely have continuous diaphragms on the same levels. Plate
heights vary from 8' to 12' or taller depending on the room, floor area and
more. My point is that these roofs actually are simply supported beams if
only supported at the ends. The discontinuity that occurs defines the pinned
connection.

Personally, we are placing more emphasize on rigidity of the diaphragm and
not enough on statisical degrees of failures attributed to rigidity. I don't
think that these values exist except where a construction deficiency occurs.

Dennis