RE: NCEES Registration

Dennis,

Having recently taken the Illinois SE exam (but still waiting for results),
I am familiar with the test.

Requirements for Illinois SE in general description are:
Graduate with bachelor's degree from ABET accreditted college or equivalent
(must prove that it is equivalent)
Take and pass 8 hour EIT exam
Four (4) years professional experience
Take and pass 16 hour SE exam (loads of fun...no pun intended)

I am not sure what the 4 hour general exam that Bob Johnson refered to, but
may deal with a situation in which someone had not taken the EIT or some
such.  All I know is that it did not affect me since I had already taken and
passed the EIT and already had my PE in Michigan (meaning I had already
taken the 8 hour civil PE exam).  That 4 hour exam may be for those in
Illinois who want an SE without already having a PE liscense in Illinois or
some other state.

My understanding for California is that for me to get a California PE
license I would need to take an additional 4 hour exam covering seismic
issues and surveying.  I also understand that to get a California SE
licesnse, I have to have 6 years of experience under a licensed California
SE.

I will be the first to confess that I am not at all familiar with the
California requirements, since I have not had a reason to pursue a license
in that state.  However, I would appreciate it is others on the listserv
could enlighten me on the requirements for PE and SE in California.

Regards,

Scott

Scott E. Maxwell, P.E.
Structural Engineer

SHG Inc.
500 Griswold Street, Suite 200
Detroit, MI  48226

Phone: (313) 442-8253       Fax: (313) 983-3636       Email:
smaxwell(--nospam--at)dt.smithgroup.com