Seismic Upgrade.... Blue Book Commentary on wood diaphragm

Ben,

Please do not mis-understand, I do not completely believe that a rotational
analysis is the answer, but I do believe that a diaphragm supported by 5
lines of walls, creating 4 diaphragm spans and drags, treating this as a
series of 4 simple spans with half of each span loading contributing to the
wall, regardless of the fact that the interior walls are 2 to 3 times
longer than the exterior (with windows).

The analysis of thesee types of situations should consider the shearwall
support relative stiffnesses, the resulting wall and diaphragm drifts.

Dennis,  Yes a custom home with differing roof diaphragms at different
elevations may act as a simple span, hinged (almost) at the supporting
wall, but the shearwalls should be checked for drift for compatible
deformations.

Williston "Bill" L. Warren, IV - S.E.
Newport Beach, California