From: Kho Poh Teck [mailto:ptkho(--nospam--at)pc.jaring.my]
Sent: Friday, May 21, 1999 9:26 PM
To: 'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'
Subject: Construction Joint for massive Foundation Slab

Can anyone give some advice on the appropriate time lapse prior to
casting a 2nd half pour of a massive foundation slab? Size 50m x 50m x
3m. Is it acceptable to cast the adjoining piece at the peak temperature
of hydration of the first slab provided adequate reinforcement is
provided to prevent thermal cracks. Personally I don't think the young
concrete is able give sufficient bond strength for making tthe rebars
effective to limit the crack width. What is the normal practice in Dam
construction?

Regards
KHO Poh Teck
CEng