Timber Dry Rot

     Roy,

     You may not need to remove the dry rot (unless REALLY bad) if you use
     a wood petrifier.  One industrial strength wood hardener is LiquidWood
     by Abatron, http://abatron.com/ (no www.).  This product was
     recommended to me by Dennis Wish and Harold Sprague some time ago when
     I was restoring two balcony decks and some open patio framing.  I
     ended up not using this product but I heard it is the best on the
     market.  It should be for the cost.  It was $150/gallon and $75/quart.

     I opted for Wood Hardener from MinWax, www.minwax.com.  It was about
     $7.00/quart.  The MinWax hardener is a clear liquid that looks and
     smells like a mixture of acetone and airplane glue.  The old wood
     soaks it up like a sponge.  It probably does not restore all the
     original wood strength properties but it can save you time not having
     to remove and treat the dry rot section.  I also found it very
     beneficial to seal the wood when you are finished with the repair.
     Either paint or a Thompson Water Seal type product.

     If you want a little more protection from the dry rot spores coming
     back there are a number of fungus/wood rot products at the hardware
     store.  I used one that comes in a gallon container which is about two
     thirds full.  You fill the rest of the container up with bleach and
     spray it all over the wood.  You have to wait until it dries
     completely before you can attempted any of the wood hardener repairs.

     Thomas Hunt, S.E.
     Fluor Daniel