Re: Construction Joint for massive Foundation Slab

The main thrust of my question is not so much of the measures to control the
heat of hydration but the minimum period elapsed between the peak temperature of
concrete in a section of the work and removing the forms. By doing so, I presume
the concrete may be subjected to thermal shock. Think of it as baking a cake.

Spraying cold water on warm and young concrete in the preparation of
construction joint as you have mentioned is probably a wrong practice though it
is still commonly done. Also the cooling of the first pour will cause thermal
cracks on the young conrete of the second pour because of the restraint at the
construction joint.

I have never investigated the formation of micro cracks in the construction
joint and its effects on the final tensile strength of the hardened concrete.
Comments please.

Regards
KHO pt
CEng