Re: Lateraly loaded piers [2nd attempt]

Luke:

I generally use .35 of the required design depth from where the passive
resistance starts to determine the maximum moment.   Depending upon where
your soil report says that the passive starts.  If your pile also has
vertical forces and the depth is determine by this (i.e. bearing pressure
at the bottom of the pile or from friction at the sides), I still use the
theoretical depth calculated for the lateral pressure only for the bending
moment.

The maximum moment then is:  Plateral x [height to centroid of all lateral
forces + depth of ignored soil + .35 x calculated embedment ].  This
assumes that these are non-constrained piles and that the ground is level.

Neil Moore, S.E.
Neil Moore and Associates