RE: Reinforcement of massive pedestals

Wrong. You use a "shell" of not less than 1/2 of the Ag, and then use 1% of
that area as your area of reinforcement.

I have come across this misconception many times among structural engineers,
that the code(s) allow you to "skimp" on the minimum column reinforcement.
This flies in the face of logic since why even mention the 1% of Ag, when
you're going to allow 0.5% for all cases?

"Not less than half of Ag" is appropriate for the "massive pedestal"
situation, but he will have to use 1% of the resulting area, not 0.5%.

That's because you work for Fluor. I used to work for B&R, and that's where
I ran into this mistaken assumption again and again.

That the building official doesn't question it is irrelevant. It is
incorrect.