Exterior Timber Protection

Roy Levy wrote:

. > Consequently it is not clear to me if there is an inexpensive, reliable
. > way to protect exterior timbers.

True!

Several years ago, the head of a large, international construction company
was retiring to a mountain cabin in the cool (in summer, cold in winter)
White Mountains of eastern Arizona.  For the cabin's deck he opted to go for
treated lumber.  From what I heard, in one year the deck was a shambles and
he replaced all the treated wood with redwood.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona