Re: Exterior Timber Protection

Roy,
>From my experience, the Abitron products are more for repair of damaged wood
than as a preservative. I'm not totally familiar with their full line, but
have used their wood repair product with good results.

I live in the desert and designed my home with much exposed heavy timber,
solid wood doors, columns and even a solid wood garage door. The upkeep on
the exposed wood is something that I learned to accept when I chose to use
wood. None of the products I've used including the Behr products lasted more
than a couple years before needing to be retreated.

With the exception of windows (which are wood and painted with a primer and
oil based paint) my exposed wood is lightly stained and weather treated. I
look for products that provide some UV inhibitor since the sun is more
destructive than water in my area.

What I can't do anything about is the warps, twists, checks and other defects
resulting from drying and swelling of the wood. I've learned to live with
this and consider it the character of the wood. I used an 8X18 DF beam at the
Portola outside the front door at the edge of the entry. The member has
cupped and warped around the neutral access. From the end it looks like its
ready to fall over, but it is not. Still, it bothered me for some time until
I learned there was little I could do to stop the changes.

I did find that the closer you get to the core of the log the less warp and
twist that will occur. However, this is hindsight. I also learned to use two
pieces of material for creating exposed headers so that the outside will be
allowed to twist with the heat of the sun and not crack the gypsum on the
interior face of the wall. Again in hindsight.

Hope this helps a bit.

Dennis S. Wish PE