From: Maria I. Falconi [mailto:maisabel(--nospam--at)ecua.net.ec]
Sent: Friday, May 21, 1999 10:17 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: The Top Six Reasons Computers are Fe

Dear Maura,

I'm afraid that I don't exactly share your opinion.  If you think being a
woman engineer/architect/professional is difficult in the States or Canada,
try South America!!!

In my opinion, one of my achievements as an engineer has been to stand among
my peers only as a colleague and not as someone who should be given any
particular attention or advantage for being a woman.  And I think that part
of the challenge of being a woman engineer is having to learn to stand up,
to defend your position and to fight back, on your own.

I'd rather fight my way up among criticism and jokes than have people
pretend that there are none.  Discrimination lies within the minds of
people.  It is our task to open up´people's minds by showing that we are
just as good as they are, not by shutting them up.  I would consider that
being offended by a joke such as the one posted in the listserve is a sign
of the weakness that we are supposed to be proving wrong.

I'd rather laugh and prove them wrong.  And believe me, I'm succeeding at
it.  Then again, that's just my
point of view, and I'll certainly accept yours.

Regards
Maria I. Falconi