RE: Lateraly loaded piers [2nd attempt]

A relatively simple procedure for determining where the point of rotation is
for laterally loaded piles (at least ones that are not too flexible) is
given in a paper by Czerniak published in 1957 in the Journal of the
Structural Division (ASCE), Proceedings paper no. 1188, Vol. 83, ST2, March
1957, page 1188-1. It will also give you pressures (although not non-linear
ones), shears, deflections and required depths.

It assumes the pile is rigid and is general enough to handle any combination
of horizontal force and moment allowing you to model pinned, partially
fixed, fixed, etc.  It doesn't require the "k-factors" that both Roger Turk
and I have doubts about and gives answers that I've found to yield
practical, useful results as long as you pay attention to the limitations of
the method.  Even for more flexible piles, it will get you in the ball park.

Bill Cain, SE
Oakland, CA