Re: NCEES REGISTRATION

In a message dated 5/26/99 6:26:31 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
Rbengrguy(--nospam--at)AOL.com writes:

<< FROM:  W. GENE CORLEY

 Bob:

 Mr. Wish does not have the correct information about the Illinois S.E.
 License.  The requirements for examination are:
 	  8 hours FE
 	16 hours SE

 The PE exam does not count as any part of qualification for SE but is
 required for Illinois PE.

 Illinois SE is a practice act, i.e., an Illinois PE cannot do any
 structural design.  California SE is a title act, i.e., a California PE
 can do most structural work.  Only Hawaii has the same requirements as
 Illinois.

 I hope this helps.    WGC >>

Sorry Gene, I was quoting the information provided by Bob Johnson, SE a
member of SEAOI and NCSEA. These were not my interpretations. No matter what
is correct the distinction is still confusing at best.

I think the distiction between "title act" and "practice act" is very
confusing to most of us. Personally, I am not clear on the distinction and
look only at the qualifications of the person who is performing the work.  I
can't imagine an engineer qualified to practice structural engineering with a
CE license on low rise, non-essential structures who would not be able to
design similar structures in Illinois. I can understand the distinction if
the projects were Chicago highrise buildings, but not commercial or
residential structures in say, Sterling Illinois.

Possibly the changes we are seeing take place in a national exam will help to
clarify the distinction. It does not appear as though Illinois understands
the capabilities of California engineers either.

I received my PE (in Civil Engineering) in California although I was born and
raised right there in Skokie near your office at PCA (which I assume you
still occupy).

Thanks for clearing this up and I apologize for the wrong information.

Regards,
Dennis

In a message dated 5/23/99 5:59:54 AM Pacific Daylight Time,