From: Parkerres+AEA-aol.com +ADw-Parkerres+AEA-aol.com+AD4-
To: seaint+AEA-seaint.org +ADw-seaint+AEA-seaint.org+AD4-
Date: Friday, May 28, 1999 9:15 AM
Subject: Re: FALLING ICE

+AD4-Neil -
+AD4-
+AD4-You may try to install some icebreaker devices on the edge of the high roof
+AD4-to break up the snow as it falls.  This is commonly done in locations where
+AD4-the falling snow/ice would not hit a low roof, but would land on someone's
+AD4-head.
+AD4-
+AD4-Good luck.
+AD4-
+AD4-Bruce Resnick, SE
+AD4-Parker Resnick Str. Eng.
+AD4-
+AD4-
+AD4-
+AD4-In a message dated 5/27/99 11:21:41 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
rvogel+AEA-jps.net
+AD4-writes:
+AD4-
+AD4APAA8- Neil,
+AD4-
+AD4- This topic is along the lines of a problem that I will soon have to
address.
+AD4- Several months ago Kirkwood Ski resort called me to look at a roof that
had
+AD4- a failure.  It seems that a large glacial like chunk of ice (rough guess
10
+AD4- tons) fell about 20 feet from an upper roof and shattered some rafters at
+AD4- the front of the general store.  It turns out this is the second time that
+AD4- this has happened.
+AD4-
+AD4- A little aside, it seems that architects rarely listen to warnings
+AD4- explaining all the possible affects of sixty feet of annual snow fall.
+AD4-
+AD4- The lower roof was originally 3x6 rafters at 2' oc spanning about 5'.  The
+AD4- first time they failed they replaced them with 4x6 at 2'oc.  Five or six
of
+AD4- these 4x6's at the impact area were reduced to splinters.  The snow load
at
+AD4- this area (Pf) is 300 psf, the funny part of the story is that this roof
+AD4- never has any snow on it.  The upper roof tends to acculimate snow at an
+AD4- adjacent valley area and then gradually creep until it eventually falls to
+AD4- the unloaded roof below, then bounces off and lands in the parking lot.  I
+AD4- gave Kirkwood a temporary repair last the winter, and told them to call me
+AD4- this summer for a permanent repair.  I think that I will have fun trying
+AD4- come up with a reasonable but safe impact load for the new roof.
+AD4-
+AD4- Randy Vogelgesang S.E.
+AD4- South Lake Tahoe +AD4APg-
+AD4-