Re: Code Created Malpractice Opportunity-Rigid v. Flexible Diaphragms

Mr. Shipp-
I agree 100% with our comments on personal attacks.
They have no place on this list.

In regards to plywood diaphragms being flexible or
rigid, you are again correct in stating that the
diaphragm will not act as a truly rigid or flexible
element.  So REGARDLESS of the assumption we make,
the actual performance of the diaphragm will not
match our calculations.

If one desires, an analysis of the diaphragm based
on both methods could be made, and a conservative
design could be made based on a worst case basis.

However, this is a lot of WORK for design engineers
who do small (under 5,000 square feet), and light,
one and two story wood framed buildings.  Fees do
not generally justify this type of an analysis.

In both the Northridge and Loma Pietra earthquake,
smaller wood framed structures built with plywood
diaphragms and plywood shear walls performed very
well from a life-safety basis.  These structures
were designed based on the flexible diaphragm
method.

Therefore, you HAVE to conclude that assuming a
plywood diaphragm is flexible in the lateral
analysis of buildings of this nature will provide
adequate performance.

What really "IRKS" me is that the new Code seems to
be very clear on issue that you should not base your
design of plywood diaphragms as flexible unless you
check the the deflection of the diaphragm and walls
and pass some arbitrary ratio.

If the old tried and true assumptions about plywood
diaphragms give the desired results, then WHY make
designs based on these assumptions a CODE violation?

I know, some professor at (insert your favorite
campus here) is having a "spaz" attack because the
data from his 15 year study on diaphragms do not
match current design standards.

If someone has the time and inclination to analyze
diaphragms as rigid, rigid and flexible, etc., that
is fine with me.  But I have a MAJOR problem with
the Code making the old method not longer
acceptable.  The old method has proven itself in
real earthquake situations.  You just can't argue
with that.

I am right and the Code is wrong :) (hehehe, even I
am laughing at my own words!).

Lynn