Dynamic Loading

                         The training of Civil/Structural Engineers is
limited to too static loading conditions.
                         What happens when an engineer is faced with
explosion damage or earthquake
                         related problems? Even the design of a simple
lamp-post involves the dynamic effect
                         of wind induced vibrations that engineers in their
normal design work are not
                         accustomed to.

                         Is it not time that building engineering courses
become more dynamic in their course
                         content? The outputs obtained from computer
programmes must be fullyunderstood
                         by the design engineer, if we are to design with
economy and elegance.

                         A good start for a Structural Engineer to commence
in structural dynamics is by
                         referring to Professor Arthur Bolton's papers in
the journal of the Structural Engineer
                         dated, 6/6/69, 9/78 vol56A, 8/8/83, & 1/3/94. If
anyone has a copy of the 1969
                         paper, I would appreciate a fax copy-(fax No.
00-356-233376). These papers
                         werethen incoporated into a book titled
"Structural Dynamics in Practice" - Macgraw
                         Hill.

                         The methods outlined are conversant with
structural engineers as the same
                         methodolgy of structural analysis is adopted.
Being a past slide-rule engineer these
                         methods suit me fine and form part of my routine
design work.

                         A recent addition of the Thomas Telford group is
an ICE design & practice guide
                         "Dynamics-an introduction for civil and structural
engineers". This guide gives a simple
                         overview of when structural dynamics becomes
relevant to a project, with the
                         methods of design to be followed outlined.

                         The section of blast loading in above guide is
stated as being rather limited, whilst
                         rock blasting is hardly touched upon. Here again I
refer to an excellent paper in the
                         Structural Engineer "Damage from Explosions-real
or imaginary" by JD McCaughey,-
                         followed by the Structural Engineer Institution's
guide "The Structural Engineer's
                         response to explosion damage" & "Blast effects on
Buildings", edited by Mays and
                         Smith.

                         The pressures exerted by wave action on shore-line
structures are not well
                         documented. Perhaps a practice guide is needed in
this field.

                         A practical guide exists for the vibration of
floor slabs by the Steel Construction
                         Institute 1989. Is this guide only applicable for
steel/concrete structures, may it be
                         utilized for masonry/ timber slabs?