RE: Dynamic Loading

Bill, I couldn't agree more.  IMO, SEAOC would be well-advised to sponsor
a series of statewide seminars on these topics, which are still not
well-enough understood.  Education of practicing structural engineers
will go a long way to encouraging participation in code-developing
processes and improving structural performance, thus achieving one of the
"Big Picture" goals of reducing financial impacts (i.e. structural and
nonstructural damage) due to one type of natural disaster-dynamic
to belittle life safety, nor learning through experience by observing
actual building performance during earthquakes.  I for one would
appreciate any opportunity to further my understanding of the principles
behind sound engineering design and practical methods that go beyond the
code.

As for the rigid vs. flexible wood diaphragm issue, I agree with John
Shipp in that structural behavior is a result of the integral stiffnesses
of all elements; those engineers involved in code development seek to
represent actual behavior with approximations, and the practicing
engineering community is obviously not yet satisfied with the procedures.
 Codes are not written in a day-it's a dynamic process, albeit
frustratingly slow at times-, but I have seen many developments for the
better evolve over the 17 years during which I have been practicing
engineering.  I appreciate the opportunity to read the posts on this
list, and am amazed that more engineers of all people do not have access
or participate.  It's one of many media for the furthering of structural
engineering that we should make use of, not to mention the intellectual
value and even entertainment (yes!).

Joyce Fuss, SE
Lionakis Beaumont Design Group
Sacramento, CA 95814