Re: FALLING ICE

Randy-

I did some calcs over the weekend wrt to your falling ice chunk.  Based
on my analysis you're going to have a very difficult time "catching"
20,000 lbs of ice falling from 20 feet.  Of course it depends on the
desired performance;

life safety? framing & roof deck damage? roof deck damage only?

   I think it should be approached from an energy calculation.  You have
4.8 x10^6 in-lbf of potential energy to deal with.  A timber roof system
with limited deflection capability will not be able to "store"  or
absorb  this amount of energy elastically.   In addition  you have the
problem of the chunk "bouncing" into the parking lot.   A steel framing
system that can plastically deform is a possible solution.

Can the ice build up be reduced or controled --- like avalanche
prevention?

regards
Bob
Robert Kazanjy, PE  **Disclaimer: I speak for myself not UC-Irvine**
Senior Development Engineer
Civil & Environmental Engineering
UC Irvine