Re: Code Created Malpractice Opportunity-Rigid v.Flexible Diaphragm

I doubt that there will ever be a time when one's passion prevents that
person from steping over the "line". It happens to us all and the best we can
hope for is that the individual realize his mistake and makes amends for it.
I rarely remember a Hazardous Building committee meeting angers and
frustrations did not flair. The Kariotis/Scmidt rounds were some of the most
memorable.
The fact is that tempers will flair, we hope we are professional enough to
keep them in check, but when it happens we need to simply move on. This does
not exuse the action, but leave the responsiblity to resolve the issue to the
offending party.
With that said, we still need to develop support from the physical
communities - those who physically participate in committee and board work -
for virtual tools. If a forum is to be created for the discussion of issues
it is important for those who are physically active to participate and be the
liasons to those who are unable.
We have failed in the last few years evolving our phyical committees to make
their information available to those who are not capable of participation
other than by the SEAINT tools.
Should this nullify their importance in the decision making process or should
the traditional communitity recognize the existence of those outside of their
physical boarders and connect the links so as to make themselves accessible.
I think this is exactly what needs to be done. This has been the goal of
sEAINT and has been supported for seven years by SEAOSC who invested in the
server and creation of the tools.
The problem is that we are not demanding, as members of SEA, that those who
represent us have the skills to use the tools. One good example is the latest
vote of new board members. I received the card with the qualifications of
each member, yet not one mentioned Internet skills or the need to involve the
virtual community in their work.
Is this what we want to continue or do we believe that as long as those on
the physical side will continue to alienate the rest of the community by not
learning to use the tools at hand?
How can we expect to establish International codes when we refuse to adopt
the tools that allow us to work over international boarders.

I think we all see the position of those who are physically able to work on
committees or boards. The question is when will these people understand the
importance of the Virtual community and learn the minimal skills necessary to
participate with them?

Dennis Wish PE

In a message dated 6/1/99 11:12:25 AM Pacific Daylight Time, RRanous(--nospam--at)eqe.com