Re: Re[2]: Code Created Malpractice Opportunity-Rigid v.Flexible

Rick,
I can' t argue with you but I don't think it is realistic to take 15,000
personalities on the List and assume that everyone of them will avoid
confrontation or name-calling. This is something that is impossible to contol
- as difficult as it is to control in a heated committee meeting sitting
across from one another.
An active member of any committee becomes vulnerable when his opinions become
public. Most of us who participate in committees have a thick enough skin to
overcome this.
There have been some very prominent members of our list who refused to return
because they felt attacked. When I spoke with them privately, they realized
that this was not a common occurance and that the majority of those on the
list respect their opinions whether they agree or not. A greater majority of
offenders will seek out the other party and apologize for stepping over the
line. I don't know how many do this privately over publically.
My point is that any opinion can create conflict - it's the nature of the
beast. We all wish to prove our case and we become offended if we interpret a
comment as condecending or out of place. It may well be our perspective that
is off, but often times it is not.
Still, the need to communicate and discuss these topics is more important
than a bruised ego. We need to be less sensitive and more understanding of
the passion that many of have for the unpopular opinion.
Those in a position to make policy need to have a thicker skin than the rest
because they make themselves targets more often than the rest. It's the
bigger picture than is most important - how will this affect the profession
and the building owner?

Dennis

In a message dated 6/1/99 2:03:16 PM Pacific Daylight Time, RRanous(--nospam--at)eqe.com