Re: Re[2]: Code Created Malpractice Opportunity-Rigid v.Flexible

Fred,
Please see my comments embedded within yours

fturner(--nospam--at)quiknet.com writes:

<< Dennis - You and Shafat have a valid point about the SEAOC committees not
 posting information. This is a task that the SEAOC Board should consider
 assigning to its staff via the Exec Director. So perhaps the new director
 could be given this assignment in the fall.

 Also, much of the code work originates at subcommittees or at the regional
 level, so similar cooperation would be needed by each SEA regional
 organization in NCSEA.

<< Dennis>> THIS IS MY POINT EXACTLY. SEAOC IS NOT THE ONLY GROUP AT FAULT
FOR NOT MAKING BETTER USE OF THE RESOURCES. EACH CHAPTER MUST TAKE
RESPONSIBILITY FOR THIS.
WHEN DOES SEA RECOGNIZE THE IMPORTANCE OF BUILDING A VIRTUAL LIBRARY? WHEN DO
THEY REALIZE THAT THE DISTRIBUTION OF FUNDS FROM DUES NEEDS TO BE SERIOUSLY
RECONSIDERED SO AS TO ALLOW FOR MORE MONEY TO BE BUDGETED TO ALLOW FOR
BUILDING OF THE LIBRARY.
ABOUT TEN YEARS AGO, ED MCDERMOTT - WHO WAS THE DIRECTOR OF SEAOSC - ASKED
THE COMPUTER COMMITTEE TO CONSIDER CREATING AN INDEX OF PUBLISHED PAPERS IN
THE ANNUAL PROCEEDINGS. WE WERE UNABLE TO DO THIS BECAUSE OF LACK OF
VOLUNTEERS AND MONEY FOR THE TIME IT WOULD TAKE TO MANUALLY RECREATE THE
INDEX'S.
TECHNOLOGY HAS COME OF AGE TODAY WHERE WE CAN SIMPLY SCAN THE INFORMATION AND
CREATE PDF DOCUMENTS FOR STORAGE AND RETRIEVAL ONLINE. HOWEVER, THIS STILL
REQUIRES MONEY TO HIRE SERVICES TO MANUALLY CONVERT THE FILES.
I COMPLAIN ABOUT THE WAY WE SPEND OUR MEMBERS DUES WHEN THERE ARE MORE
ECCONOMICAL WAYS TO APPROACH A PROBLEM. I UNDERSTAND THE IMPORTANCE OF LIVE
MEETINGS, BUT DO WE NEED SO MANY? COULD WE ALOCATE MORE FUNDS TO DEVELOPE OUR
ARCHIVE RESOURCES AND LEARN TO WORK MORE EFFICIENTLY BY USING THE TOOLS WE
HAVE AT HAND AND LIMITING LIVE MEETINGS AS THEY ARE NECESSARY?

 However, there are other groups that are not associated with SEAINT that
 also generate code changes. The BSSC and its CRSC are among them for seismic
 concerns, and each materials organization has similar groups. The last time
 I talked to the BSSC about this, they recognized the value of sharing
 information on the internet, but lacked the staff time to upload drafts on a
 consistent basis.

<<DENNIS>>  THE FAILURE IS NOT TO RECOGNIZE SEAINT AS A TOOL RATHER THAN A
PROFESSIONAL ORGANIZATIONS. IF BSSC AND CRSC (AMONG OTHERS) UNDERSTOOD HOW
SEAINT COULD BE THE LINK USED TO SHARE INFORMATION, A COMBINED EFFORT COULD
BE INSTIGATED TO CONVERT THE INFORMATION EFFICIENTLY AND COST EFFECTIVELY.
REMEMBER THAT ALMOST ALL OF THE INFORMATION CREATED IN THE LAST TEN YEARS IS
DONE USING A COMPUTER. AS LONG AS THE FILES ARE STILL AVAILABLE, THE
CONVERSION PROCESS BECOME ALMOST NEGLIGABLE.
THE MOST TIME CONSUMING CONVERSIONS ARE THE OLDER, PUBLISHED FILE THAT NEED
TO BE SCANNED AND RECOGNIZED.

 One other possibility? Our city council allows people to phone in for three
 minute sessions at each meeting. Some of these phone calls have made a
 difference. Users can convey a tone of voice and a level of urgency that
 computers may not readily allow at this time. The Seismology Committee
 already has a well-used system of replying to written inquiries and
 disseminating their correspondence to Committee members before meetings.
 Phone calling, emailing or other types of outreach might help the notion
 that members represent others while serving on committees.

<<DENNIS>> I DON'T THINK THAT THIS IS AN EFFECTIVE METHOD FOR A TECHNICAL
ORGANIZATION. I HAVE SAT IN ON CITY COUNCIL MEETINGS WHERE THE PUBLIC WAS
GIVEN TIME TO TALK AND I DON'T BELIEVE IT WAS EFFECTIVE. IT BECOMES MORE
EFFECTIVE WHEN THERE ARE NUMBERS OF OTHERS WHO AGREE AND CAN SUPPORT A
POSITION. YET, NOTHING REPLACES THE NEED TO PRESENT THE OPINION IN AN ORDERLY
MANNER WITH SUPPORTING EVIDENCE. LIMITING THE PERSON TO A FEW MINUTES ON A
DIFFICULT TOPIC DOES LITTLE MORE THAN VERIFY THE INDIVIDUALS PASSION FOR HIS
POSITION.

 It is still human nature that anyone will typically make a bigger difference
 if they show up and participate in person. Perhaps this will change in time.

<<DENNIS>>  I AGREE THAT IT IS, BUT I DON'T BELIEVE THAT IT WILL BE. THIS
WILL BECOME AN ISSUE OF ECCONOMICS AND THE ABILITY TO ACCOMPLISH AS MUCH AS
POSSIBLE ON A GLOBLE LEVEL WITH AS LITTLE INVESTMENT IN EXPENSES AS POSSIBLE.
PERSONAL PARTICIPATION IS SIMPLY NOT POSSIBLE WHEN THE COMMITTEE IS GLOBAL OR
NATIONAL. EVEN LOCAL CHAPTERS EXCLUDE MANY WHO CAN NOT PHYSICALLY ATTEND.
THIS BECOMES A POOR EXCUSE WHEN TECHNOLOGY PROVIDES US ALTERNATIVES TO JOIN
THE LARGER AND HISTORICALLY IGNORED PROFESSIONAL COMMUNITY. TO IGNORE THE
TECHNOLOGY IS IRRESPONSIBLE AS IT WILL RETARD PROGRESS RATHER THAN ASSIST IT.

THANKS FOR YOUR COMMENTS - THEY WERE GOOD POINTS.
DENNIS

 Fred >>