From: merrick group [mailto:merrickgroup(--nospam--at)compuserve.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 02, 1999 9:37 AM
To: SEAonc seaint
Subject: rigid wood diaphragms

Rigid wood diaphragms
Wood construction of light framed buildings.

I have read that some engineers envelope the
possible force distributions. (rigid vs. flexible
diaphragms)

Does any one consider the "continuos beam
over supports" load distribution? ATC3
suggested increase factors for interior shear
walls. (rigid shear and flexible flexure)

Does anyone assume a flexible diaphragm
force distribution and then specifies that the
gluing of floors is not allowed? Is a glued floor
a rigid diaphragm? If so then shouldn't the
force results be enveloped for when the glue
may break free.

Consider a glued and unblocked diaphragm.
When the glue breaks free, is there enough
breakage to transfer shear to the more flexible
nailing to allow a flexible diaphragm?

Does any one consider the releasing of lateral
forces from non-shear walls? The wall must
reach a capacity to crack the finishes. Does any
one check the bearing on the joists to restrain
the wall to crack the finishes? What should be
the release capacity of finishes on a non-shear
wall?

David B Merrick, SE