Re: double sided shear walls

In Santa Cruz the locale lumber yard can order the material from there
suppliers.

When I called the lumber yard to ask about the availability, the sales
person said they could order it or they could mill it from 4x.

I then asked would it be graded? He said no and that would be an extra cost
and if we wanted graded material it would be a special order.

So, what have we learned?

1. 3x material is available if the contractor special orders it.

2. The 3x material actually used on the site will probably be milled from a
4x  - either on the site by the contractor or by the lumber yard.

3. There are some locale grading agencies in the area, and I have used them
to verify existing lumber grades be fore. The cost has been minimal compared
to the over all cost of the project.