Re: double sided shear walls

The double-side shear wall is just like a one-side wall with the same nailing,
etc. as far as deflection is considered. Each side resists one-half of the total
shear force. So if wall is designed for 900 plf, check deflection based on 450
plf per side. The cyclic load shear wall test project sponsored by APA at
UC-Irvine in 1995 showed that UBC deflection formula predicts deflection
accurately for shear loads up to 40% over UBC allowable values, which is still
less than yield limit state. Two other factors need to be considered: the
hold-down will now be required to resist the total force (based on 900 plf for
example); and check bearing stress of end posts on plates.  The end posts may
have to be increased in size or number so that bearing does not control. (I
recommend using 1977 NDS bearing stress f-c perp. = 385 psi for Douglas fir.
Current values have bearing capacity margin - max./ult. vs. design - of only
about 1.7, whereas old values were better matched to strength limit state of
shear wall, about 2.5 or higher times design value.)

SEAOSD developed recommended construction guidelines for double-side shear
walls, some of which are reflected in UBC provisions for this application. These
include offsetting vertical panel joints on opposite sides of wall, so they
don't occur on same stud. Also APA Help Desk (253-620-7400 or
www.help(--nospam--at)apawood.org) has suggested details for ofsetting nails in multiple rows
on opposite sides of plates and end posts.

John Rose/APA, Tacoma, WA