Re: double sided shear walls

----- Original Message -----
From: Roger Turk <73527.1356(--nospam--at)compuserve.com>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Sent: Wednesday, June 02, 1999 4:59 PM
Subject: RE: double sided shear walls

> Other than Southern Pine, there is no definition for "kiln dried."
>
> Here in the desert southwest, lumber graded "dry" (19 percent moisture
> content or less) will shrink, split, twist and do other strange things as
it
> dries down to its equilibrium moisture content of about 6 percent.  8 inch
> diameter posts will have 3/4 inch splits.

Comment from Bruce Pooley: I believe that the post will have 3/4 inch
"checks", not splits. Splits are defined in the grading rules as a
separation of the wood through the piece to the opposite surface, or to an
adjoining surface, due to the tearing apart of the wood cells. Checks are
defined as a separation of the wood normally occurring across or through the
ring of annual growth and usually as a result of seasoning. Most of the
posts that I have seen exhibit "seasoning checks" and not splits.