Re: double sided shear walls

I have used Nels' detail as well but you have a point, Footnote 3 to 1998 CBC Table 23-II-I-2 (don't you love this numbering system)  say clearly a single 3-inch nominal member.  Sec 104.2.7 allow "modifications" when there are "practical difficulties" (such as 3x material not being available) but you must show equivalence and get approval in writing for the deviation to cover yourself.

Bob Bossi

Jeff Smith wrote:

Hello Nels,

This is similar to what I have done in the past on some projects, however, I
am concerned that this may not hold up in a legal situation. Can anyone else
comment on this, John Rose? Bob Bossi?

|~|
|~|
snip
|~|
|~|At sole plates nailed through plywood diaphragm to floor
|~|framing, specify 2x
|~|continuous with 2x blocking between the studs, nailed to the
|~|sole plate with
|~|the same number of 10d nails per foot as the total plywood edge
|~|nails per
|~|foot on one side; the plywood is nailed each side with half of the edge
|~|nailing into the sole plate, half into the blocking, similar to
|~|the way it is
|~|nailed to the top plate, but keeping nails away from blocking ends.
|~|
*   site at: http://www.seaint.org