Re: Dry Rot

Dry rot is caused by a fungus called merulius lachrymans, which needs damp
wood to grow. The decayed wood is easily crumbled to powder, and may appear
quite dry.  Dry rot also sends out mycelial strands, which can carry water
from the damp source of infection to dry wood some distance away, wetting
it and promoting fungal growth in otherwise dry wood. Wet rot, caused by a
number of other fungi, softens wood, which often appears wet and mushy as
it rots.

Maura Gatensby Architect
Vancouver, Canada