Re: Kiln Dry Lumber - Splits and Checks

I think we are splitting hairs on this subject - or is that checking hairs:>)

In a message dated 6/3/99 3:21:16 PM Pacific Daylight Time, bdpooley(--nospam--at)rmi.net
writes:

<<
 ----- Original Message -----
 From: Roger Turk <73527.1356(--nospam--at)compuserve.com>
 To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
 Sent: Thursday, June 03, 1999 12:08 PM
 Subject: Re: double sided shear walls

 I was not correcting the terminology, but trying to point out the difference
 in the "opening" that you were trying to describe. A split goes all the way
 through the post.  A seasoning check is only an opening in the wood that
 does not go through the post. The structural capacity of the post is
 effected more by a split. Seasoning checks have very little or no effect on
 the strength. >>