From: NRoselund(--nospam--at)aol.com [mailto:NRoselund(--nospam--at)aol.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 03, 1999 8:28 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Dry Rot

I came across an interesting possibility; perhaps a source for what we think

to be the misnomer "dry rot".... Could it have come from the old mariners?
Wood that is continuously submerged doesn't rot, but if exposed to air, it
may.  Perhaps "dry" wood aboard ship wasn't what we would consider to be dry

wood in a building.  Any etymologists out there?

Nels Roselund
Structural Engineer