RE: Portlands vs. Blended Hydraulics

Flyash is generally categorized as a C or F ash.  The benefit of ash varies
from the C or F ashes.  The following responses are general in nature.
There are exceptions.

Durability:  Durability is a large topic (abrasion, sulfate resistance, ASR,
cavitation, cracks)  Indirectly it helps by partially replacing the cement
and lowering the initial heat of hydration and reducing the potential for
cracks, especially for thick concrete slabs.  If by durability you mean
resistance to abrasion, I am not aware of any benefit.  Type F ashes have
been demonstrated to help in sulfate and ASR resistance.

Workability:  It increases pumpabiltiy.

Crack resistance:  It helps reduce shrinkage cracks by moderating the heat
of hydration.  It has no effect on tensile strength.

Freeze thaw breakdown resistance:  I am aware of no effect.

Alkalinity improvement (reduce carbonation):  Alkalinity and carbonation are
two separate issues.  I do not believe that flyash has an effect on either
issue.

Finish:  It is stickier and some finishers do not like it.  Kalman flooring
uses laser screeds, and prefers it in many of their mixes.  Used in large
quantities in cold weather conditions, flyash can retard a mix.  You must be
at the upper range of water temperature, and/or heat the area.

When using flyash, one should study its properties in both the plastic and
hardened state.  If properly used, the addition of flyash can benefit
performance.  If there is a problem, the problem cause must be properly
diagnosed.

Regards,
Harold Sprague
The Neenan Company