RE: 1997 UBC 1630.1.1

The equations in section 1630.1.1 are for the design of individual elements
only. Once you obtain Eh from your analysis then  <<...>>  factor and Ev are
applied to design the elements. Equation 30-2 should only be used when it is
specifically referred to such as in case of collectors as required in
1633.2.6. This load combination is used when you design critical elements of
the structure that you want to ensure their adequacy in case the actual
seismic forces exceed the assumed design values.

Hope this helps
Ben Yousefi