RE: Is anyone interested? You Bet!

Could you repost the internet address for Degenkolb's website?  I would
like to obtain a copy of FEMA 273.

-----Original Message-----
From: Seaintonln(--nospam--at)aol.com [mailto:Seaintonln(--nospam--at)aol.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 08, 1999 12:47 AM
To: FEMCCLURE(--nospam--at)aol.com
Cc: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Is anyone interested? You Bet!

I don't think it is lack of interest so much as it is the fact that most
of
us did not know about FEMA 273 until Frank brought it to our attention
on
this list. Yes, yes, I know! Most of you knew - but I was simply too
embarrassed to admit that I did not have a clue.

However, I tried to vindicate myself and followed Frank's lead to
Degenkolb's
website where I downloaded the entire FEMA 273 draft (in sections). I
compiled the sections into one Adobe Acrobate document (not recommended)
and
have not had the time to start reading through it.

I received the latest CUREe-Caltech newsletter today and have not had
the
time to comprehend everything that was in it. I was pleased to recognize
many
of the 50 engineers who attended the Invitational Workshop. Although
most of
the engineers who attended were opinionated, I hope that the lines of
communication remain open so that engineers who are physically
challenged
from attending personal meetings will still have access to the
information
and the ability to comment.

Frank also brings up the issue of the Regional Training Seminars. It is
great
when an engineer has both the finances and accessibility to attend these
seminars, but I would be more pleased if our profession did more to
bring
these seminars to engineers who can not physically attend a meeting
(Real
Audio seminars like those held by FEMA or simply video taped seminars).
You
must remember that many of us do not live close enough to a major metro
area
to make this a feasible venture.

The core issue is the same as we have debated from post to post - if an
engineer can not physically or financially attend seminars, should he or
she
be denied access to the information? Is our profession based upon
educating
engineers or making money on seminars?

I apologize for being blunt on this issue, but as much as we seem to
want to
make the Internet a channel for information we obstruct it by either not
investing the effort or resources to accomplish this goal, or we become
motivated to use the Internet as a money making venture. When used to
make
money, we tend to do it for good reason, but we waste a great deal of it
by
not utilizing the Internet Technology (IT) that we created to help
reduce
spending.

Last September, AF&PA held a one day Wood Seminar in Long Beach and
charged
engineers $25.00 to attend - including lunch. AF&PA continues to take
this
show on the road - appearing in five or six cities per year. It is
obvious
from the price that AF&PA is more interested in educating engineers than
making profits or generating income to be wasted elsewhere.

Our goals as a professional community should be to publish information
or at
least make the information readily available so that engineers can use
understand and interpret the codes they must practice. Presently,
interpretatons of the code has created a great financial market. It
seems
more in keeping with the philosophy of software sales.  Publish a
confusing
or defective product and charge the public for the key to understanding.
 Me
thinks we are learning from poor examples.

Frank, I really do appreciate all of the information I learn from you -
including FEMA 273 (which I promise to read in the next few weeks). This
email was not in any way intended to flame you but to draw attention
that
many of us are further away - yet still involved - and need a better
channel
for the flow of information. NO ONE PERSON SHOULD BE HELD RESPONSIBLE
FOR
MAKING THIS GOAL A REALITY!!!  Sorry, Frank, I lost my temper and raised
my
voice:>) but I was hoping to wake the living.

Possibly SEA needs to devote a little more effort in this direction -
including posting information (minutes, drafts, board minutes etc) on
the
websites that SEAINT provides. Maybe the education committees need to
start
video taping seminars and making them available to engineers at a
REASONABLE
price. Lets be a bit more agressive about providing professional
resources to
the professionals.

Respectfully,
Dennis S. Wish PE